Saturday, July 16, 2011

My First Flight (since almost 2 years ago)

Mount Bangkay at the foreground and the Sierra Madre Mountain Range at the background

Crack of dawn, July 1, 2011, I flew my trike (also called a flexwing or a microlight or an ultralight) for the first time in nearly two years. For safety, I used my slow wing. My landings were smooth--as if I had been flying regularly. It's like riding a bike. Once you know it, then you know it for life. I need to adjust the idle and figure out why the EGT (exhaust gas temperature) readings are uneven. Overall, my new Rotax 582 Bluehead engine is performing nicely.

My initial target for first flight was April 1, 2011 or three months ago. There were additional parts I had to import and the electrical wiring seemed to take forever. Then, there was the gasoline tank, which I had fabricated in a fiberglass shop in Banawe, Quezon City. They used the wrong resin, which melted with gasoline. Entirely my fault to rely on the "expertise" of local fabricators that create fiberglass parts for aesthetic purposes. After my research on the subject, I used vinyl-ester resin on the gasoline tank and, voila, we are good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment