Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Prayers

Serenity Prayer
Karl Paul Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.


Morning Prayer of St Francis
St Francis of Assisi (1182-1226)

Lord, help me to live this day, quietly, easily;
to lean on your great strength, trustfully, restfully;
to wait for the unfolding of your will, patiently, serenely;
to meet others, peacefully, joyfully;
to face tomorrow, confidently, courageously.


The Prayer of Jabez
1 Chronicles 4:10

Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request.


Prayer to the Holy Face of Jesus for a Peaceful Death
By Rev. Fr. Mario Jose C. Ladra
"Straight from the Heart, A Prayer Companion"
St. Paul's Publication, 2007

Dear Jesus,

Thank you for the gift of life and for the blessings to be among those who know you are the Son of God.

Thank you for the gift of sight that allows me to see the wondrous things you made and for my soul to help me see beyond my sight.

Thank you for all things and especially my heart in which you placed magnetic seeds of grace that draw me forever to your love.

I know you hold me in the palm of your hand and shield me with your Holy Face. Yet, as the years go by, Lord, I fear the yoke of sickness and pain, and worry how my life will end.

And so, I humbly come to ask you, Lord, that when my time comes to leave here below,
  • Do not call me by a sudden death nor by an accident that tears the body apart
  • Not by an illness that leaves the mind confused or the senses impaired
  • Not by a malady that wears out the soul or at the mercy of evil forces
  • Not with a heart filled with hate or a body racked with pain
  • Not abandoned, lonely, without love or care
  • Not by my own hands in a moment of despair
Jesus, let death come as a gentle friend, to sit and linger with me until you call my name.

Then let me enter your heavenly home to receive your final gift of grace and look upon the divine countenance of your Holy Face. Amen.


Angele Dei (Angel of God)
Prayer to One's Guardian Angel
Reginald of Canterbury

Angel of God, my Guardian dear,
To whom God's love commits me here;
Ever this day, be at my side
To light and guard
To rule and guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment