Friday, December 15, 2017

What is it about red convertibles?

During a car show in the San Francisco Bay Area with Uncle Ted Ulanday and, my sweet cousin, Sophie
Barely a teenager yet I couldn't resist a red convertible even then

First Generation Miata, released in the USA in 1990--the year I graduated college at Virginia Tech

Thanks to Mom, I bought one of these (Mazda 323 hatchback, white).
The least expensive model at the Mazda dealership (no AC and no radio) in Burtonsville, Maryland.
It was brand new, economical and very reliable.
It got the job done, bringing me to and from work and wherever I wanted to go on the weekends.
I called her MIO (as if to say, you may not be a Miata but at least you are mine).
And I said to myself, I would get myself a Miata one day.

Nearly 30 years after college, this is the Fourth Generation Miata. It's now (2017) or never!
I could not stand the idea of paying more taxes (increasing in 2018) to purchase this car!
Did I mention that I am turning 50 in a couple of months and may get too fat to fit into a Miata?

So here we are!
Probably my longest running "marshmallow test" to date. Yes, I have succumbed.
The first and perhaps the last unequivocally gratuitous acquisition in my life.
An early morning run from my home in San Juan to the Baguio Country Club in 3.5 hours . . . no kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment